The Stone Mountain Elementary School Library was dedicated in
January 2007 to Mrs. Susie Killian and Media Clerk.
It is the mission of the Library Media Center to offer a diverse collection of reading and resource materials to nurture the love of reading, in every scholar, and to promote lifelong learning.
Policies and Procedures
- Each home room is offered an opportunity to visit the media center every week, where they are provided with a read aloud story time or a library literacy lesson followed by time to choose books and read independently.
- Students in Kindergarten and 1st grade can check out one book.
- Students in 2nd through 5th grades may check out two books
- Books may be kept for up to two weeks, at which time they need to be returned or renewed. To renew a book, the student must bring it with them to the media center. A book is considered overdue after two weeks. Fines will not be charged for overdue books. However, students will not be allowed to check out additional materials until overdue items have been returned.
- In order to provide as safe an environment as possible, books will be kept at school in classrooms this year. No books should leave the school building.
- If a book is damaged or lost, the student will be responsible for paying for the book. The cost is $10.00 for hardcover books and $5.00 for paperback books and must be paid for in cash.
Meet the Media Specialist
While this is my first year as a media specialist, I have been working in libraries since my first job in my town’s public library when I was 14 years old. Since then, I have worked in school, university, and public libraries in various roles.
I earned a Bachelor’s Degree in English and Journalism from Central Michigan University and worked as the community editor of a daily newspaper before moving to the Atlanta area where I earned a Master’s Degree in Library Media from Georgia State University.
My love of reading and helping others find books they love to read has been a driving force in my life. I look forward to this next adventure as the media specialist at Stone Mountain Elementary School and getting to know the students, staff, and families in this community.